“YOU ARE BEING RATE LIMITED”
*Ping* pops up the annoying notification across your screen again.
If you are a regular Discord user, you must have come across the Discord Rate Limited error while trying to enter a channel requiring phone/OTP verification. And you are not alone. Complaints from users all around the world have been registered in regards to this error.
This message pops up after multiple text/OTP verification trials and does not allow the user to go through the verification process again.
But, worry not. This does not mean you don’t have to give up on Discord all together. This article will show you some effortless ways to remove the error and resume your activities on the app. So, let’s get right into it!
Why does the Discord rate limited error occur?
The ‘You are being Rate Limited’ error pops up across your screen when you continuously repeat an action. For example, when you enter a text verification message but it does not work out. After trying this action multiple times, you’ll probably receive the error notification.
I know this seems annoying, but the error has been made for your safety. The error is made to protect you from hackers so that they don’t have an infinite number of chances at guessing your password.
There are many softwares made for ‘hacking’ that use different combinations of code to pass the security barriers. Discord is an application that ensures your safety by blocking such unsolicited attempts for gaining access to your account.
How to fix the error – You are being Rate Limited?
Fix 1: Wait for a bit.
The easiest and usually the most effective way to resolve this error is to just wait for a couple of minutes before resuming your work. Discord generally has a 10-12 minutes limit before it allows you to perform the same action again. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Log out and close your Discord tab altogether. Also, close your browser.
2. Wait for a minimum of 15 minutes.
3. Restart your browser and open Discord.com
4. Log in to your account and resume your earlier action.
So, don’t worry, and just sit back and binge on a couple of those funny cat videos. After all, patience is a virtue!
Fix 2: Restart your Router
By restarting your router, you can change your IP and, therefore, reset your network. The error ‘You are being rate limited’ occurs due to a block in your IP. The following steps will help you to fix the error:
1. Remove the Router Power cable from its socket and wait for a few minutes. Another simple method to restart your router is to press the power button and hold it for at least 30 seconds.
2. Replug the Router power cable. Restart your PC, and connect the router to your computer.
3. Finally, open your browser or the Discord app and log in to your account. Go to the Settings tab and try verifying your Mobile number.
Fix 3: Use the Incognito Mode
Here is another easy-to-attempt method to fix your rate limited error.
1. Open the Discord app in the Incognito Mode of your browser. (To enter Incognito Mode, press Ctrl+Shift+N)
2. Log in to your account with your credentials.
3. Lastly, click on the cog icon near your icon and attempt to resume the action that was being blocked by Discord.
Last but not least, you can always Contact the Discord Team to help you fix the error.
To contact the team, click on the “?” icon given at the top-right corner of your Discord app. The icon will open up the Support page on your browser.
To raise a support ticket, click on the Submit a Request button present on the top menu bar. Finally, Select your support type from the drop-down menu and fill-up the form to complete your request.
Don’t forget to mention the error “You are being rate limited” in your support request and mention the steps you followed that caused the error to appear on your screen. This will allow the team to understand the problem better and, therefore, assist you more effectively.
A Final Tip!
If you are an average Discord user who uses the application for fun chats and gaming streams, it would be advisable to stick to the ‘Wait for a few minutes’ or ‘Restart the router’ methods. These are some viable solutions that work almost every time.
However, if you use Discord for management, it would be wise to use your advanced coding skills and planning to prevent such messages from occurring. A timing command usually does the trick.
Tell us which method worked the best for you in the comments down below!