WhatsApp Web gives you everything you love and hate about WhatsApp, but on a much bigger screen that’s coupled to a keyboard for faster typing speed. You can use it when you are tired of squinting at your tiny phone screen and want to watch all those funny videos your crush keeps sending you on a screen bigger than that on your iPhone SE. More, if you spend lots of time online on your desktop, installing WhatsApp for Web can save you a lot of time and let you keep abreast of what your friends are saying on social media.
There’s not much to using Web WhatsApp, and it is fairly easy to set up. Today, we will detail all there is to setting it up and quite a few things about this web-based WhatsApp version that you need to know. Better tune in and keep alert!
Using WhatsApp Web on Computer
WhatsApp web for desktop can be used on the two major mobile OS – Android and iOS. The process of setting up and using it on both is pretty much similar and the experience is generally identical. It can be easily accomplished by anyone in a couple of minutes at the most. Here’s how to make it work on either OS:
Connect WhatsApp Web to Android
Listen up Android users. The steps involved in connecting WhatsApp for web to your device are as follows:
- Install WhatsApp on your mobile device, from the Google Play Store. Be sure it is working correctly. If you already have WhatsApp on your device, there is no need to install it afresh.
- Once the first step is completed, go to the Settings menu on your mobile and tap the WhatsApp Web button.
- Now, open web.whatsapp.com on your desktop browser and scan the QR code displayed on this browser with your phone.
- The setup is complete once the scan is done. Your phone automatically synchronizes with your desktop, with all the chats and contacts that are already in your phone appearing on your desktop.
Connect WhatsApp Web to iOS
iOS owners can easily get the web version of WhatsApp running in a few simple moves. This requires the steps outline below:
- Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone. If you don’t have it then rush to download it on the App Store.
- Once its running, click the Settings option and then on WhatsApp Web/Desktop. Tap the Scan QR Code option as well.
- You will then be asked to capture a WhatsApp web QR code with your iPhone camera. Do this fast or you will be clicking a refresh button all day.
- Once this scan is done, every contact and message on your iPhone makes it to your web WhatsApp account. That means you can chat on a big screen till your eyes fall off!
How to log out from WhatsApp Web?
Logging out from WhatsApp Web can be achieved through mobile or via your computer. There are a few reasons why you would be advised to log out, most of which have to do with security. Once logged out you can log in at any time and resume whatever you were doing on either version of WhatsApp.
You can log out on iPhone, Android, and web browser. The process for each will be explained in turn:
Using your web browser
If you are in the habit of using WhatsApp Web on public computers, you must endeavor to logout once you are done. Logging out prevents computer thieves from going on your WhatsApp and scamming your friends and acquaintances. To achieve this on any browser:
- Open the WhatsApp Web app and go to the Settings menu.
- This menu is represented by three vertical dots and has a Log Out option among others. Click on that and you are out.
Using your Android phone
Logging out of WhatsApp Web on Android is about as easy as twiddling your fingers! You can opt for this if you won’t be accessing WhatsApp web for a while and just want to focus on using WhatsApp on your device. To log out on Android follow the below steps:
- Go to the Settings menu and tap the WhatsApp Web option.
- You should normally see an image of the computer synchronized with your mobile that you are running WhatsApp web on. It will show the Log Out From All Devices Option. Click on that.
Using your iPhone or iPad
If you are an iPhone or iOS user, the following steps are what is needed to log out from your account:
- Open your WhatsApp on iPhone
- Dive into the Settings menu and the Web WhatsApp option.
- If you have an active WhatsApp Web session, you will see a log out from all computers option. Click this and go your way.
How to find contacts?
Finding contacts on WhatsApp Web is a no brainer. Once you hook up both your phone and PC to the same network, they synchronize like they have been doing that all their lives. What this means is that all your contacts, saved chats and more get to appear on the big screen.
Method 1: You will find a contact list to the left of your laptop or PC screen. Scroll through this and talk with any one of them you wish to.
Method 2: If you can’t seem to find a particular contact name, type it in the search bar that’s just above the contact list and matching results will appear in a jiffy.
Method 3: Click on the message icon at the top to initiate a new chat. Search for a contact or pick one from the suggestions so start a chat with them.
How to send a message?
To send a message, simply select a contact on the contact list to the left of the screen. Once a contact is selected, a text box (1) will appear and occupy most of the right part of the screen. You can type in messages with your keyboard and use the Emoji icon at the extreme left of the text box (2) to send a bewildering array of Emojis, Stickers or GIFs.
How to send pictures or files?
Got pictures and files you need to send to a contact? Well, you are in luck. Look up. Near the top of the screen is an icon that resembles a paperclip. Click on it and be able to send all kinds of documents. There’s also a Photos and Videos option (1) there and this lets you send videos and images in your computer memory to your contacts. The Camera option (2) also serves to let you take some shots of your face or anything else and dash these off to your contacts. The document option (3) lets you send documents, sheets, presentations or other files. The contact option (4) lets you send contacts on your phone to your friends.
How to send voice messages?
The bottom right of the screen on WhatsApp web has a gray icon of a microphone. You can click on this whenever you wish to send a voice message. You will be asked for permission to let it use your microphone. Agree to the request, and shoot off as many voice notes as you can manage to your contacts.
How to see WhatsApp status?
The Status icon on WhatsApp web is represented by three small curves that form a circle. This icon is normally blank, but when there are new status updates you get to know because a green dot appears on it. To check out new status updates and look at old ones too, click the Status icon. And that’s all there is to it.
Once within a status update, you can scroll forward or backward via slideshow controls. When you are done scrolling, click the X button at the top right of the screen to get back to the main page.
How to get notifications on WhatsApp Web?
Three dots are arranged on the top left of the screen. Tap on it and go to Settings. Then click the Notification icon and toggle all options on.
How to stop desktop notifications?
To stop desktop notifications on your browser, simply go to Settings and Notification and then toggle off all options. There’s also an option to turn off all alerts and sounds for a time that ranges from an hour to a week. You can refer the screenshot above to navigate through the notification settings.
Are Whatsapp Web & Whatsapp Desktop the same?
WhatsApp Web is accessible on a computer via web browsers and is the web interface of WhatsApp. WhatsApp Desktop, on the other hand, is a little bit different. It is a standalone app that can be installed on both Mac and Windows PC. In essence, WhatsApp Desktop is an app for computers that grants access to the web-based version of WhatsApp. WhatsApp web, on the other hand, is browser-based and grants access to all the goodies on WhatsApp once the user is logged into a browser. Both WhatsApp web and WhatsApp Desktop have essentially the same features and functionality. They look the same too and deliver much the same experience.
How to install & setup Whatsapp for Desktop?
The download and installation process is smooth and enough onscreen prompts and instructions are given to make the whole process easy and stress-free. For a successful installation, computers that wish to run WhatsApp Desktop must have Windows 8.1 or newer or Mac OS 10.10 or newer.
- WhatsApp Desktop can be downloaded from the App Store and the Microsoft store. You can alternatively visit the official page on the WhatsApp website and download the installer for your desired platform.
- Choose either the Download for Windows (64-bit) option or Download for Mac OS X 10.0 and higher option.
- Once the file has been download, open and run the installer. The installation shall complete in a few seconds and a window similar to that of WhatsApp Web shall open. Only this shall be browser-independent.
- To link WhatsApp Desktop to your phone, go to Settings on your smartphone and select WhatsApp Web/Desktop.
- Scan the QR code using your phone and your chats shall now be visible on your computer screen.
WhatsApp Web and WhatsApp for Desktop though look identical, a few key features such as the WhatsApp keyboard shortcuts are only supported by the standalone Desktop app. Otherwise, they’re pretty much the same. So, it’s just a matter of what you prefer.
Suggested Read: How to Know if Someone has Blocked You on WhatsApp?
Questions about Whatsapp Web
Does Whatsapp Web work with Whatsapp for Business?
WhatsApp Business is designed to assist the small business owner to the fullest possible extent. It makes automates customer interaction, and makes responding to messages a breeze. As of now, WhatsApp Business is not supported on WhatsApp Web. Those who need it on PC have the option of using an Android emulator on their desktop or laptop that will let them freely run this invaluable business tool.
Where to access Web WhatsApp?
Access to web WhatsApp is granted to anyone who has both a phone and laptop that are on the same network. Once these are in position, all that’s needed to activate web WhatsApp is to go to web.whatsapp.com on PC, access the Settings menu on an Android or iOS mobile device, scan a given QR code and follow the onscreen instructions.
Is there a WhatsApp Web APK?
There is no APK for WhatsApp Web. Since WhatsApp Web isn’t an Android application, it cannot have an APK for itself.
Is WhatsApp Web safe to use?
Yes, WhatsApp web is very safe to use. It is in fact as safe to use as the WhatsApp mobile app and all chats on it are encrypted, just like in the mobile version. However, using it calls for caution. Since it requires pairing a mobile device with a laptop or desktop, if the laptop or desktop being paired does not belong to you, others can read your chats. More, should you log in to WhatsApp Web on public computers and fail to log off afterward, others can read your chats. Beyond that WhatsApp web is about as safe as Fort Knox and easier for you to access!
WhatsApp Web brings big-screen functionality to WhatsApp and is available on both Android and iOS users. Some have never heard of it, while others consider it to be almost life-saving. It enables better use of time and other resources, but like most things in life comes with a few cons that can, however, be easily managed by folks who wish to get the best out of their existence.
Want to get web to WhatsApp working for you? Then download and use it responsibly. And don’t forget to have fun with it!